General Terms and Conditions for Nockalm Road
Effective as of 1.1.2019
1) Payment of the road tollThe Nockalm Road is a private toll road. Drivers who drive on the road outside of the operating hours of the ticket offices are in principle not exempted from the obligation to pay. Rather, they are encouraged to pay the corresponding costs on the descent, provided that the ticket office is occupied.
Vehicle operators who refuse to pay the calculated toll (or the price according to the current toll list) at the toll station will not be allowed past the toll station. The Province of Carinthia – Nockalm Road (LK-N) as operating company of the Nockalm Road rejects any claims for damages from such refusal.
2) Obligations of the vehicle operatorThe vehicle operator is obliged to stop at the barrier and pay the road toll. Even customers who already have a valid ticket must stop at the stop line and wait for the barrier to close after the vehicle in front moves onward and wait until the camera recognizes the licence number or the barrier is opened using the ticket. The barrier closes after each vehicle!
Fares are dependent on weight and vehicle type, therefore, the driver is required to show the vehicle registration certificate when requested.
3) Tickets – licence number linkAll tickets sold at the Nockalm Road are day tickets that entitle the holder to repeated access at the toll stations. All tickets are linked to the motor vehicle license number, thus allowing ticket holders to pass the toll stations repeatedly within the period of validity.
4) Payment methodPayments in cash must be made in Euros. The toll can also be paid by means of the debit and credit cards listed below:
The payment methods listed below serve as information only. Despite its mention in the list, a payment method may be rejected due to a regulation of the card issuer (transaction limit, restricted lists, etc.).
- Austrian debit cards with Maestro icon
5) Ticket misuseThe misuse of a ticket (day ticket, season ticket, etc.) will result in confiscation of the ticket or road use ban.
6) Season ticketsSeason tickets can be purchased only for private vehicles, that are not used as taxis, rental cars, car sharing vehicles, company vehicles, other commercial uses, etc. (according to the vehicle’s registration certificate).
Season tickets can be transferred a maximum of one time within the validity period due to the purchase of a new vehicle or the issuing of a new vehicle licence number. For this, the submission of the registration documents is necessary and the registration of the new vehicle must not date back more than 3 months. In these cases, the transfer of the season ticket is free of charge.
For transfers that do not meet the above criteria, an administration fee of 8 Euros will be charged (incl. VAT.).
7) Ticket lossIn case of loss or damage to a ticket, a new ticket can be issued. An administration fee of 8 Euros will be charged (incl. VAT.).
8) Ban on campingThe Nature Conservation Act allows camping only at officially approved campsites. There are no campsites located directly in the road area of the Nockalm Road. Camping is therefore forbidden along the road.
9) LiabilityHolders of a valid ticket expressly acknowledge that road support (road condition and safety check) is performed only in the period in which the toll station is open and accepting payment. For damages outside this period the Province of Carinthia – Nockalm Road accepts no liability.
10) Personal responsibilityA road in the high mountains that overcomes large differences in elevation can lead to extremely hazardous situations in certain weather conditions (fog, snow, storm, black ice, etc.). In the high mountains, weather and road conditions can also change very rapidly and therefore it is not always possible for the information provided by the toll station to be accurately predictive or fully comprehensive. Instead, it is up to the assessment of the vehicle operator himself to decide when and whether the conditions permit continued driving or if stopping or turning back is required.
11) Conduct in the alpine pasture areasThe Nockalm Road is located in an alpine pasture area; sometimes the road goes directly across pastureland. Drivers and cyclists must proceed with particular caution and with a correspondingly reduced speed. Free-range grazing livestock (e.g. sheep) or even wild animals (e.g. especially in blind curves) must be expected at any time! When undertaking hikes across pastureland, the relevant recommendations on the website and the signage on site must be strictly adhered to.
12) Data storageAll tickets issued by Nockalm Road are linked to the respective licence numbers; therefore it is necessary to save the licence numbers for a period of 12 month after the end of validity.
In addition, license plate images are taken by camera per lane. These photos are stored for 3 months to process complaints about invoices.
We indicate that we are offering a panoramic webcam at the Eisentalhoehe which takes constantly pictures for weather and nature documentation. These pictures are saved permanently and published on the website.
Furthermore there are webcams at the Glockenhuette. These do not belong to the LK-N. The latest pictures of these webcams are published on the website.
13) Jurisdiction and Applicable LawFor all civil disputes in connection with the paid use of the Nockalm Road, the court with jurisdiction over the subject matter in the Province of Carinthia is responsible. Only Austrian law applies, excluding choice of laws rules of private international law.